• Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 1,259 other followers

  • Welcome to the RunnerDuck Blog

    We use to publish a monthly newsletter but decided to step up and do a blog instead. Just like our newsletter we will update this "newsletter" about once a month.
    Each month we bring you news from our little town of Coupeville, WA and happenings around the island we live on.
    We hope you enjoy our blog and we'd encourage you to sign up for email notification since it doesn't update all that frequently.
    Ken and Marilyn

  • Advertisements

Day 39 – Home Again, Home Again, …

Yesterday we traveled to Nebraska but went the long way around through Iowa. It was not by choice but due to the excessive flooding that closed Interstate 29.

It was really bad and we feel sorry for those folks who are flooded out. It was about an hour detour through Iowa.

It was good to see that Nebraska has embraced some green energy by sprinkling some big windmills in amongst the corn fields.

The whole intent of going to Nebraska is that’s where Ken was born. We set up camp at Two Rivers State Recreation Area in Waterloo, Nebraska. It’s a nice campground with lots of trees. I’ll try to get a picture before we leave. Once we were settled in we drove to North Bend where Ken lived from age five to thirteen.

When he left in 1957 the town had around 990 people living there. Over the past 54 years the town has exploded to a population of 1,231 people. All in all not a whole lot of change. The downtown area has changed very little since the 1950’s. Here’s Main Street looking north.

And here’s Main Street looking south.

The home that Ken grew up in has long been replaced with a warehouse but the old popcorn processing plant his dad ran is still there although in a state of disrepair.

KORN Popcorn, Inc. was the world’s largest popcorn processing plant back in the early 50’s. The small building in the middle was the weighing house where the trucks would get weighed before dumping their corn. The large building on the left was the processing plant where corn was removed from the cob and packaged for delivery all across the country. The house he lived in was to the left of the processing plant. All of the silos are gone and it’s a mere shadow of it’s glory days. Other than that the town hasn’t changed much and it was fun to be back “home again” all be it briefly.

On the way back to camp we drove through Fremont where Ken was born and we saw the hospital where that blessed event took place. We drove around trying to find the house that he lived in for the first five years of his life but things had changed so much that it was impossible. We decided to have lunch and head back to camp.

Once again this morning it’s hot and humid. At 5:30AM it’s 78 degrees F and 90% humidity, another wet blanket.

Today we are going to try and make a bunch of miles west to get as close to mountains as we can. From here to the Rockies there ain’t a whole hell of a lot to see other than corn fields and wide open spaces. It will be a long day of driving with the air conditioner running on high.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: